Tuesday, December 1, 2009

An Estonian in Every Port

The Global Estonian Central Council, whatever that is, estimates that over 35,000 Estonians have moved to Finland over the last several years. Recent census data confirms the decline and estimates Tallinn's population to be approximately 125,000 people, 90 percent of them employed as reisisaatjad with the city government (youth in yellow vests who are paid to stand idly by on public transport--usually chewing gum or listening to iPod tunes). The remaining 10 percent work in other EU-funded capacities, or as staff members at the Global Estonian Central Council. Whatever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment